Friday, November 9, 2012

Grand Theft Auto 4: taxi ride

I RARed up my save files and deleted all but the latest before doing anything else, so now when I click Start it can only load up the one save. No more ambiguity when I start a new session.

I now regret not taking some cab missions, when I had the chance. In previous GTA games that was always a great way to make some fast money and learn the map. Right now, with cousin Roman on the bread line, I'll have to find another way. I can still steal cabs, of course, but I don't think I can activate a taxi mission, if there even is one in this GTA.

Well, it looks like I can save a police car at my current safehouse. They might actually be useful now that the NPC cars actually move out of the way of sirens in a reasonable way.

Next mission, following a drug dealer. Sure was nice of someone to leave this MP5 on the roof. And it even uses the same ammo as mini-Uzi.

Back to the store to replenish armor and ammo. Interesting, that in this GTA there's a limit on how much ammo you can carry. This is a touch of realism I appreciate in games, like reloading your ammo. What seems like just a dumb limit actually increases realism. Checking the gun shop display models, I can't buy any new weapons yet. Even though I have an MP5 now, instead of a mini-Uzi, I still can't buy ammo for it.

Cop cars are still squawking at me as I pass them at red lights. I'm guessing Rockstar actually implemented traffic rules and appropriate police response in the game, and then took it out when it proved to be too boring and slow to obey traffic laws, or constantly risk police attention. You can't just simulate everything, or its not fun any more.

That last mission left me really banged up, and without a car, in an area frequented by police. Let's try this hailing a cab thing. Nice, well implemented, I really like it. I can spend my time enjoying the scenery, instead of dodging pedestrians and looking at the GPS. Or you can skip the trip entirely. And its cheap, even on my low budget. I think I'm going to use this a lot.

Age of Empires II (2013)

2024.01.15 Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition came out in 2019. Age of Empires II: HD Edition came out in 2013. I'm playing the older...