Saturday, November 17, 2012

Grand Theft Auto 4: AK-47

Haven't played in a few days, load up, and my graphics look like some default crap. Oh yeah, NVIDIA update recently. But why would that reset my graphics profile. Hmm, never noticed this benchmark tool before, let's try it. It plays through what looks like a cut scene. My average FPS is 49.02, and test results are saved to Documents\Rockstar... etc; I'll check that later. I increase various attributes, and try it out. I don't like it. Everything seems a little more sharp, but there's so much choppiness and blur that its not worth it. Back to auto config.

Next day...

*spoilers*

That was a fun run and gun mission. The thing with Michelle was telegraphed well in advance (all your things still have tags on them). The extended mission complete music was weird and unnecessary. Its obvious this is a large plot point, duh, you don't need the verbal equivalent of a blinking tag. At least now I have my first AK-47. Time to see if I can buy ammo for it.

I found the AK because it was glowing - pigeons also glow. Are these the packages of this GTA? Time to risk some spoilage and see; my curiosity has gotten the better of me. It looks like you get access to a helicopter, and that's it. And a lot of people complaining about it, and the lack of other achievements. Oh well, I'll just focus on the story.

Game crashed after a taxi ride to Little Jacob, trying to keep up my social. Reloading.

I've been using the taxi so much, I got an achievement for it (oops - actually this just means I didn't skip viewing the ride).

Some missions later... I finally get to enjoy some classic GTA action. I complete a long shooting mission, get my target, and drive off into the sunset. Even though I hadn't freshened up at the gun store lately, I still made it through. And on the way out, while enjoying the denouement conversation, I lightly tapped a gas can on the way out. BOOM, we're dead. If this had been a race, I'd be really pissed, but I don't mind this again, especially now that I know to go stock up first.

Everything about this game is so awkward and cumbersome. Not just walking, driving, and shooting, but the communication as well. I'm constantly getting phone calls and texts, and if anything interrupts it at all, it gets cut off, and I lost whatever was supposed to be communicated. I've taken to focusing on messages, and then saving afterwards.

Age of Empires II (2013)

2024.01.15 Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition came out in 2019. Age of Empires II: HD Edition came out in 2013. I'm playing the older...