Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Grand Theft Auto 4: bumba clot

Let's try this again... and again... and again.

*ending spoilers*

I'm at the place where I couldn't climb up into the helicopter. I switch out to Task Manager, set affinity to CPU 7 only. Go back to game. After some furious pounding on space bar, I'm in, and the conversation continues. Set affinity back to all processors.

But I didn't realize that just because I climbed up into a helicopter, I'm suddenly piloting it. How does that make any sense at all? I just climbed up into a helicopter. And my target gets away in seconds.

I can't believe I have to do this again. The pointless car chase. The boring fight outside. The retarded chase to the helicopter. The pointless boat chase. I have a rocket launcher. He shouldn't be able to get away, but I'm trapped in cut scenes. I'm almost at the point of just watching a video to see the ending.

I would never usually use the replay function in the game, but I'm just so frustrated and I want out of here already. Thankfully it puts me back to the point of the fight outside; I don't have to do the car chase again.

Why do I need to know how to pilot a military helicopter in the endgame? That might make sense in something like Vice City, where helicopters are a big part of the game, but here its as senseless as an impromptu plate juggling contest.

Another pointless thing: while you are on the boat chase part, the enemy helicopter shoots rockets at you. I thought I was a doing a good job evading them, and then one comes right at me, and goes right through me. Not much point to the light show when you know it can't hurt you.

OK, so I got past the getting on the helicopter part, and now we're engaged in a running air battle. Because I'm using keyboard and mouse, I can't fly and operate the gun at the same time. Before I can even wonder how to solve this problem, I thank my partner's shooting, and the target's helicopter starts to burn. Why am I even here? And then we ALL CRASH LAND SAFELY ON LIBERTY ISLAND.

Now another running gunfight with the cops. Well, I guess they should show up to the party when there's an aerial fight over Manhattan that crashes at the Statue of Liberty. Now is a good time to cash in my get out of trouble favor with girlfriend Kiki. Before I can even dial the target RUNS AWAY AND ESCAPES. What? On an island? I've had enough. There's no more sense to this game. There's definitely no more fun. I'm not playing this game anymore.

Off to YouTube to watch the 'revenge' ending. All that effort, and Niko doesn't even make sure he's really dead? I know he's lying there dying, but in the GTA world paramedics can practically resuscitate the dead. What happened to giving him a bullet for every wrong against humanity? How about just one?

I watch the other ending, where Kate dies instead of Roman. It's OK, but Roman's death makes for the better story. The Kate ending is so cliche its saccharine.

I look for after story content, and there's a few phone calls, but that seems to be. Time to check the FAQs and guides, see what I missed.

OK, not much. The package collection, which is usually fun in the other GTAs, seems sad and pointless here (killing pigeons - really?). The career missions (police, etc.) also seem pointless.

I would like to move on to the review, and then on to the next game, but I guess there's the DLCs to try. I hope they're good but short.

Age of Empires II (2013)

2024.01.15 Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition came out in 2019. Age of Empires II: HD Edition came out in 2013. I'm playing the older...