Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Grand Theft Auto 4: wear this yoke

I couldn't get past a helicopter mission with the keyboard. I've always been able to muddle through before, but I can't handle the helicopter for flying and fighting at the same time. I've been putting this moment off for as long as possible, but its time to break out the console controller.

I have an old "Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows" with a controller. Download drivers, install. Restart the computer!? While I'm rebooting, might as well change the batteries; its been years since I touched this thing (why did I even buy this thing?) OK, I'm back.

Is this thing on? I press the big Xbox logo ball, and get some lights. I'd like to test this thing before I start. Maybe there's some simple utility or game I could try. I read around. Try running "joy.cpl", the built-in calibration tool either doesn't work or doesn't make sense. Maybe I should just try the game and see what happens.

OK, with the controller I can run around and do a lot of basic actions. It's actually a pleasant way to just walk about. Driving is a whole 'nother thing. Especially if I want to do anything other than drive, like shooting. But who cares, I'm still going to stick with the keyboard for everything but flying. Time to go try this out on a helicopter. Maybe I should just go jack a sight-seeing helicopter first, before even trying the mission.

Important safety tip: don't press that yellow Y button, you'll bail out in mid-air, no matter how high are you up. It startled me a little when I hit the ground and my hand vibrated - I forgot this controller has a little bit of force feedback.

Now this makes flying actually fun. I feel like a jerk for ever even trying to use a keyboard to fly. As easy as this now is, I still need practice. I switch to first person view - and holy shit I'm flying. It really feels like I'm flying. This is like a whole new game now! This is all I'm going to do from now on is fly!

OK, yeah, I need some more practice.

I tried the mission again, stealing the small military helicopter for that blowhard, and it went much better this time. Well, I strafed the target for a while without ever hitting it, and I eventually fell into the sea, but it was a lot more fun. It makes me want to go back to the GTA 3 games and try those helicopters again with the controller.

I realize something as I went to reload. My previous mission was to drop my boss off at Gracie's house (nice tie-in to Niko's story), and go to the internet cafe and write a post to a nasty blogger. That's it - drop someone off and then post something. Mission accomplished. My very next mission is to steal a helicopter from arms dealers, then use it to kill them. Is there something a little bit off about the pacing here?

Age of Empires II (2013)

2024.01.15 Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition came out in 2019. Age of Empires II: HD Edition came out in 2013. I'm playing the older...