Wednesday, January 30, 2013

now what

I finished the Wings of Liberty campaign again, and it was a nice refresher, it wasn't much of a challenge, especially at normal skill level.

I wish I could just have more campaigns to run through; the same but different. I want to just go through the motions of building up a strong defense, and turtling inside my base. Its pointless, and not really gaming, but its my comfort food.

I want to play something mindless but pretty, like AOE 3, but I uninstalled it. Maybe I can give Baracco Station another try, though the means of loading are really messed up now - who knows what Blizzard was thinking.

I saved a copy of that map, and I'm glad I did because no amount of searching can find it now. I right-click, select the only option, open with Blizzard Launcher. It starts SC2, but nothing more. Where do I put the map so I can start a versus AI game? Trying \Documents\StarCraft II\map.downloads.

That doesn't work either. Try Custom, nope. Maybe I should look further into this launcher. OK, let's try Arcade mode. I found it! I have to select 4v4 mode, then Create Private Game, before I can add AI players. OK, I can play, but I can't save my game. Which means I can't keep re-rolling until I get the configuration I want, which is myself alone on one half of the map, and my allies on the other side of the map. I hate sharing a base. Once again, I feel myself worn down, and unwilling to fight this hard just to have some simple fun. Out of desperation, I go back to some old saves.

Yeah, they work, but it feels weird and pointless. At every turn, Starcraft 2 is telling me it doesn't want me to play like this. Maybe I should just forget this whole custom map thing.

Age of Empires II (2013)

2024.01.15 Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition came out in 2019. Age of Empires II: HD Edition came out in 2013. I'm playing the older...